The Department of Ocean Development (DOD) was created in July 1981 as a part of the Cabinet Secretariat directly under the charge of the Prime Minister and came into existence as a separate Department in March 1982. The Erstwhile DoD functioned as a nodal Ministry for organizing, coordinating and promoting ocean development activities in the country. In February, 2006, the Government notified the Department as the Ministry of Ocean Development .
The Government of India further reorganized the Ministry of Ocean Development and the new Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) came into being vide Presidential Notification dated the 12th July, 2006 bringing under its administrative control India Meteorological Department (IMD), Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF). The Government also approved the setting up of Earth Commission on the pattern of Space Commission and Atomic Energy Commission.
To excel as knowledge and technology enterprise in the earth system science realm towards socio-economic benefit of the society.
To conduct scientific and technical activities related to Earth System Science for improving forecasting of weather, monsoon, climate and hazards, exploration of polar regions, seas around India and develop technology for exploration and exploitation of ocean resources (living and non-living), ensuring their sustainable utilization.
- The augment and sustain long term observations of atmosphere,ocean,cryosphere and solid earth to record the vital signs of Earth System and changes.
- To develop forecasting capability of atmosphere and oceanic phenomena through dynamical models and assimilation techniques and to
build prediction system for weather climate and hazards.
- To understand interaction between components of Earth Systems and human systems at various spatial and temporal scales.
- Exploration of polar and high seas regions for discovery of new phenomenon and resources.
- To translate knowledge and insight themes gained into services for societal, environmental and economic