One of the most notable developments in the S&T sector in the XI Plan has been the setting up of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) through an Act of Parliament, viz. the Science and Engineering Research Board Act, 2008. Promoting basic research in Science and Engineering and to provide financial assistance to persons engaged in such research, academic institutions, research and development laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies for such research and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto are the primary and distinctive mandate of the Board.
SERB aims to build up best management systems which would match the best global practices in the area of promotion and funding of basic research.
The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) is a statutory body established through an Act of Parliament, 2008. The mandate is to supports basic research in emerging areas of Science & Engineering.
- Serve as a premier agency for planning, promoting and funding of internationally competitive research in emerging areas.
- Identify major inter-disciplinary research areas, and individuals, groups or institutions and funding them for undertaking research.
- Assist in setting up infrastructure and environment for scientific pursuit.
- Enable in order to achieve synergy between academic institutions, research and development laboratories and industry for promoting basic research in science and engineering.
- Evolve a system of approach to expeditiously provide funding for research, including monitoring and evaluation, by adopting modern management practices.
The composition of the Board is available at THE GAZETTE OF INDIA dated 30th July 2018.