Physics department was established in the year 1962 as one of the Science departments of Birla Government Degree College, Srinagar (Garhwal). This was upgraded to Post Graduate level in the year 1972. The department in Pauri and Tehri campus was established in 1972 and 1973 respectively with undergraduate course in Physics.
In 1992 post graduate course was started with specialization in electronics at Pauri campus whereas it was started at Tehri campus in 1990. University took over the department of Physics as Centre for under graduate, Post graduate teaching and research activities in Physics. Research in Solid state Physics, Mathematical Physics and Spectroscopy began with the establishment of Garhwal University.
The Department has been identified under DST-FIST programme for strengthening the research facilities and established a Computer Lab. Various research schemes under DST, UGC, MNES, UCOST etc. have been successfully completed and running in the Department.
Faculty members of the department are actively engaged in research in the different fields namely
- Condensed Matter Physics/Materials Science Experimental Studies preparation, characterization and measurements ferroelectric systems/Poly crystals, ultrasonic investigations of Polymers and liquids; Theoretical studies of dielectric and ferroelectric properties of crystals; Theoretical studies of high temperature superconductors; theoretical studies of thermal properties of ferroelectrics
- Fluorescence spectroscopy-energy transfer, Solar Photo thermal and Photovoltaic devices.
- Nuclear and Particle Physics/Astroparticle Physics- Theoretical studies of monopoles, Gauge theory, Super symmetry and cosmology etc.
- Mathematical Physics- Theoretical studies and Simulation techniques.
- Atmospheric Physics and Space Science.
The department is well equipped for research work with instruments like Fluorescence Spectro Photometer (Perkin Elmer), UV and Visible Spectroscope (Perkin Elmer), Ultrasonic interferometer, High Temperature Furnace, Mossbauer Effect, Sulphur di oxide analyser, Automatic weather station and Gamma ray spectrometer.